Saturday, November 22, 2008

Reading and Watching

Saw Twilight and...I liked it. I know it hasn't been getting great reviews and it was a little corny and cheesy at parts, but the books could be too. Either way I am kind of a sap anyways, but I liked it. I thought there was good character development and though some scenes could have been cut out (mainly some painful reenactment scenes that made me cringe with how low budget and cheesy they were) overall I liked it. I am sure lots of people won't agree, but I was engaged the whole time and have every intention of going to see it again. I support the film and they did a good job. Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson carried the film for sure because they had good chemistry which could have easily not been the case, so good for them. Go see the film if you are into the books or even if you aren't. Though if you go to see the movie and haven't read the books go read the damn books! If you can't read, you have bigger problems.

Just got two books I ordered off Amazon (They should be paying me to advertise) that I go
t a great deal on. I think I bought one used for $.01 and the other was $2.78. Plus shipping was more than that combined, but whatever I am satisfied. It's a deal to me. I got Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Both are being made into movies that star Kate Winslet actually but they looked phenomenal and I just finished the book I was reading so I'm excited to have some new material, though I have very little time to read. Both books are rather depressing subject matter; Revolutionary Road is about a miserable marriage and The Reader is about a woman who was a Nazi officer and her relationship with a young boy and the tragic results. I love depressing books because they feel so real and you can get drawn in by the emotions of it so easily, especially if it's well written. Most depressing book I have ever read Angles of Repose by Wallace Stegner. It too is about a miserable marriage and two people struggling to be happy and live their lives when they feel completely trapped within their mistakes and life choices. It was amazing and I had a very personal connection to this book, I highly recommend it.


Also I just finished Mary by Janis Cooke Newman about Mary Todd Lincoln, President Lincoln's wife. A friend's mother lent it to me from her book club and I really enjoyed it. It was such an interesting story and I couldn't make my mind up on whether I hated or liked her. The book was very well written and kept me engaged and makes you want to tell everyone you know to read it because her story is so bizarre. If you are interested in history at all or just want to read about a very fascinating and complex woman, I insist you read this book.


That's enough book talk for now, I'll let you know how my readings go.

No comments: